Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Data Visualization Maps

Many stories can be told with data. Data can also inspire writers with new ideas to present to their readers. Data is really at the core of making what we present factual and encourages the reader/viewer to trust us and take us seriously -- which I personally know is what I'm hoping for when I present something to someone.

Here are some powerful links with videos and information that helped me understand how important data is in our world and why ALL people need it:



Google is definitely a powerful tool that anyone can use with a little training. I was able to create an online survey using Google Forms (see last week's blog for more details about this process), take that data and pretty easily plug it into a Google map that can be shared with others. See the final result above of my map of favorite Vermont Tourist Destinations. It is an interactive map - click on the pins to see details about each destination!

I did a basic map without layers. I had a hard time creating another layer with the limited time-frame that I had. But I did attempt to do another layer of places to avoid in Vermont. The problem I had was that I had asked multiple questions on the same survey that I wanted to break up to use as layers on the map. It appears that I would have to do a separate survey for the data I would want to use in another layer of this map, if I wanted it to be "live" (update automatically as more people completed the survey). So, I'd have to do one survey of places people love, and another survey for places people don't like, which is what I would do next time. OR, I could create a spreadsheet from scratch and use that data on my map - but, it wouldn't be live and update automatically.

Here's some more links to additional info about forms, charts and maps 
For even more advanced data visualization options, check out these links! Again, these options can make your visualizations "live" so they update automatically and stay current, which is very cool and cuts down on maintenance big time.

I enjoyed doing this work this week. I will continue to play around with data visualization and use Google Forms and My Maps as tools to share data with others. For example, if I am working with my makeup clients and want to find out where their favorite places to shop for makeup is, I could do a survey and then share that map so we can all explore new options for makeup shopping! The ideas for how to use data maps is really endless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment